in a world where traditional job market is increasingly competitive and uncertain, many find themselves grappling with unemployment.
However, amidst these challenges lies an untapped opportunity: blogging. With the rise of the internet and the increasing demand for online content, blogging has emerged as a viable income source for jobless individuals in Kenya.
Reasons why blogging is an attractive option and how it can provide a sustainable livelihood
1. Low barrier to entry
One of the key advantages is its low barrier to entry. Unlike traditional jobs that often require specific qualifications or experience, anyone with an internet connection and basic writing skills can start a blog.
This accessibility makes it an ideal option for jobless Kenyans who may not have formal education or specialized training. By leveraging their unique perspective, experiences and passions, individuals can create engaging content that resonates with their target audience.
2. Flexibility and independence
Blogging offers unparallel flexibility and independence. Jobless Kenyans can work from the comfort of their homes or any location with an internet connection.
They have the freedom to set their own schedules, allowing them to balance their blogging activities with other commitments. This flexibility is particularly beneficial for individuals who may have family responsibilities or limited time.
Furthermore, blogging provides independence in terms of content creation. Individuals can choose the topics they are passionate about, allowing them to express their creativity and establish themselves as though leaders in their respective niches.
This independence not only fosters personal growth, but also allows bloggers to align their content with their values and beliefs.
3. Diverse monetization opportunities
Blogging offers various avenues of monetization, making it a versatile income source. One of the most common methods is through advertising.
Bloggers can display advertisements on their websites or partner with ad networks to generate revenue based on impressions or clicks. Additionally, they can leverage affiliate marketing by promoting products or services and earning a commission for every sale made through their referral.
Another avenue is sponsored content. Bloggers can collaborate with brands and companies to create sponsored posts and reviews, receiving compensation for promoting their products or services to their audience.
Moreover, bloggers can offer digital products such as e-books, online courses or membership programs, leveraging their expertise to provide value and generate income.
4. Growing digital audience
The internet penetration rate in Kenya has been steadily increasing, leading to a growing digital audience hungry for online content.
Whether its fashion, lifestyle, technology or personal finance, there is demand for diverse and engaging content in various niches. Jobless Kenyans who embrace blogging have the opportunity to tap into this expanding audience and establish a loyal following.
By consistently producing high-quality content, bloggers can attract a dedicated readership and build a community around their blogs.
The loyal audience can be monetized through the previously mentioned methods, creating a sustainable income stream.
5. Continuous learning and personal growth
Blogging isn’t just about generating income; it is a journey of continuous learning and personal growth.
Through blogging, jobless Kenyans can enhance their writing skills, develop their creativity and expand their knowledge in their chosen niches. They can also acquire technical skills such as website management, search engine optimization (SEO) and social media marketing, which are valuable in the digital era.
Furthermore, as bloggers engage with their audience and receive feedback, they can develop communication and interpersonal skills.
Building a blog also requires discipline, perseverance and problem solving abilities, fostering growth and resilience.
How to start a blog in Kenya
Starting a blog in Kenya is a straightforward process that requires a few essential steps. By following these guidelines, you can kick start your blogging journey.
- Choose your niche: selects a topic that you are passionate about and have knowledge in. it could be anything from fashion, travel, technology, personal finance or lifestyle. Identifying your niche will help you target a specific audience and create relevant content.
- Plan your content: outline the type of content you want to create and plan your blog posts in advance. This will help you maintain consistency and keep your readers engaged. Consider the interests and needs of your target audience while developing content ideas.
- Select a blogging platform: choose a user friendly blogging platform to host your blog. WordPress is a popular option that offers flexibility, customization and wide range of themes and plugins. Other platforms like Blogger and Wix are also viable alternatives.
- Register a Domain name: a domain name is a web address of your blog (e.g. www.yourblogname.com). Select a domain name that reflects your brand or niche. You can register domain through various domain registrars available in Kenya or globally. It’s advisable to choose a domain name that is memorable and easy to spell.
- Set Up web Hosting: to make your blog accessible, you need web hosting. Web hosting companies like Safaricom, Truehost kenya or international providers like Bluehost or Siteground offer reliable hosting services. Compare the features, pricing and customer support before selecting a hosting provider.
- Create engaging content: start writing and publishing quality content on a regular basis. Aim for original, informative and engaging posts that provide value to your readers. Incorporate relevant keywords in your content to improve visibility bin search engine results.
- Promote your blog: utilize social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn to promote your blog and engage with your audience. Share your blog posts, interact with followers and join relevant online communities or forums to increase visibility.
- Monetize your blog: once you/ have established your blog and gained a decent readership, explore monetization options. Consider advertising through platforms like Google Adsense, join affiliate programs or collaborating with brands for sponsored content. You can also create and sell your digital products or offer services related to your niche.
- Engage with your audience: respond to comments, engage with your readers on social media and build a community around your blog. Encourage feedback, listen to your audience’s suggestions and continuously improve your content and user experience.
Remember, starting a blog in Kenya requires dedication, consistency and patience. It may take a while to build an audience and generate income, but with persistence and quality content, your blog has the potential to become a successful income source.
For jobless Kenyans seeking alternative sources of income, blogging presents a promising opportunity for them to earn an income
Shadrack Biwot: Digital marketer & Founder of Sedi. Pioneering digital strategies since ’21. Passion for tech, transforming businesses. #SediFounder